What food causes diabetes in pregnancy
Diet is very important for your health especially if you are a pregnant mother, many types of food may benefit you. while others can harm you and your children especially nowadays hence the question of What food causes diabetes in pregnancy.
So what food causes diabetes in pregnancy?
is there is another sort of food you can depend on? that’s what we are going to discuss
How food can cause diabetes?
While you are pregnant your body’s metabolism differs from when you are not pregnant.
Insulin is a hormone released from the pancreas in response to increased blood glucose levels, as a result of taking a meal.
Insulin acts by maintaining glucose entrance into various body cells for utilization and energy production.
Therefore In gestational diabetes, your body becomes slightly insulin resistant to provide the fetus with glucose.
So, glucose presents in your blood can’t be utilized by your body, and as a result, hyperglycemia occurs and gestational diabetes develops.
What food causes diabetes in pregnancy?
- Junk food
Pregnant women should avoid junk food like pizza, burger, pasta.
Because, They do not have a real nutritional value, just more calories are added to your body without any benefit.
- Calorie high carbohydrates
Refined food is one of the probable answers to what food causes diabetes in pregnancy, as it also provides calories without any real benefit which leads to weight gain, as increasing your weight increases your chances of developing gestational diabetes.
- Highly processed food
Highly processed food contain a large amount of sodium, saturated fat, and sugar.
Furthermore, Looking at food labels can help you to determine how many items of food are processed.
The fewer the ingredients, the healthier is the food.
- Fried and baked food
They are considered as carbohydrate bombs so, you should avoid them as possible as you could.
- Cola and fruit juice
These sugary drinks also have no benefit for your unborn child
Also, packaged juices, sweetened beverages, and energy drinks should be avoided.
- Added sugar
You should check labels to see the amount of sugar in the food that you are buying, avoid as much added sugar as you can.
- Labeled foods with “Diabetic-friendly”
Anything that sells itself as good for diabetic or something like that, avoid it because they have a lot of calories and fat which affects blood glucose negatively.
So, what food you can eat?
Well, after you know what food causes diabetes in pregnancy, you should have an idea about what you should eat.
- Healthy sources of carbohydrates
- whole grains like brown rice, buckwheat, oats, quinoa.
- Fresh fruits like strawberries, blueberries, apples, oranges.
- Fresh non-starchy vegetables like broccoli, spinach, white mushrooms.
- Pulses as lentils, beans.
- Milk and unsweetened yogurt.
- Healthy fats
- Avocado oil
- Olive oil
- Fatty fish like salmon
- Nuts and seeds
- Nut butter
- Lean meats
- White poultry
- Firstly ,Diet is important in preventing and treating gestational diabetes
- Secondly, After you know what food causes diabetes in pregnancy, you should better avoid it.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables are better than junk food
- Avoid sugary drinks and highly processed food
- Lastly, Maintaining a healthy diet will make your pregnancy safe.